Monday, January 15, 2007

Dr. Martin Luther King

I was a teenager when he was assasinated. I do remember some things from that dark era in history though.

I remember the huge white drinking fountains in school. One for whites and one for colored. I walked up to the one for coloreds and wondered if I would catch "cooties" or something if I drank from it. It didn't look any different than ours.

I saw the blacks living "across the tracks" in what everyone called, "Nigger Town." No one thought twice that it was a negative word. It's just what they called them.

I remember the riots on the Black & White TV. Spraying water hoses on them.

I remember the National Guard in front of a school while some brave black girls walked into the front door.

I remember seeing the churches on fire from bombings, and the girls that were killed.

I remember Governor Wallace vowing to stop all integration and saying, "Colored people are alright, as long as you own one or two of them."

I remember being told that blacks smell different than us and if you "gave them an inch, they would take a mile."

I remember being friends with a black girl while living in California. She asked me, "What do you think of colored girls?" I replied that I didn't know any colored girls enough. Her Brother became angry and basically ran me off. He didn't say why he suddenly changed but I think it was that.
We've come a long way.

Now, we've seemed to go the other way. We're in that area where some blacks think the government owes them something. I think that's a backlash of the government trying to fix everything.

I do know that I see a lot more blacks driving Jaguars and Mercedes than I do whites.
If that's progress, then I guess we've arrived at Dr, King's dream.

No comments: