Wednesday, February 01, 2006

It's gonna be a Gay Day at the Oscars

Well, it seems they ignored The Passion of the Christ last year, and this year, Narnia, in favor of the gay-themed movies. There's Brokeback Mountain, Capote (gay), and another one featuring a main character that receives a sex change. I can't remember it's name but it got four nods. Another one of those movies that no one in the rest of the world has heard of until just before the oscars. That happens every year too doesn't it? No one heard of Chicago until just before the oscars, same for Million Dollar Baby....but that's another topic altogether.

They just don't seem to get it that these themes don't appeal to mainstream America.

I'm not homophobic but I don't really get off on seeing two men enjoying each others hairy butts and I really don't want to pay to see it. I will have to go however, because I have free passes and a gay member of my family wants to see it. I told him I would go but if they start swapping spit and playing ring around the flagpole, I'll have to go get some popcorn.

It just seems that the entertainment community just doesn't get it that most of America doesn't care to see that. Maybe they think they know what's best and what's trendy and if they like it, we should as well.

I don't think so.

I used to love the oscars, all the trailers and the spontaneously stupid remarks by the participants but...I don't know...even with Jon Stewart as the MC, I can't see watching it this year.

No comments: